There are a few things you can do in advance to get a head start on the technology side of enjoying the conference!
Here’s what you need to do!
1. Sign up for the Fairmont President’s Club.
This gives you FREE internet access (wireless and wired) at the Jasper Park Lodge. Otherwise you have to pay a daily fee. It’s free to sign up but you should sign up BEFORE you get to the Lodge to make sure your membership is activated for this visit. Sign up at https://www.fairmont.com/fpc/. You don’t have to be staying at the Lodge to sign up. A word of warning: wireless signal is very variable outside of the main Lodge.
2. “Like” the Alberta Library Conference Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/AlbertaLibraryConference. We’d love to have you comment and post on the page!
3. Download the free Alberta Library Conference mobile app. This will give you lots of conference information to use on site. Find out about session rooms, events, exhibitors, and plan your conference on your smartphone! If you have an iPhone go to the App Store and search for Alberta Library Conference or alcjpl, then download the app. (The 2013 version will appear soon, but most of the updated 2013 info is already there if you have last year’s app, and will continue to be updated before the conference.) If you have an Android or other type of smartphone, go to http://alcjpl.boopsie.com on your smartphone and download the app. This app is made possible by the sponsorship of Boopsie and Dynamic Imaging Solutions, so make sure you drop by the DIS booth and thank them!
4. Get ready for the QR Code contest! QR codes will be hidden around the Lodge. Scan each one with your smartphone, answer the not-so-skill-testing question, and fill out your entry in Info-to-Go to win a great prize – a Blu-ray player, kindly donated by CVS Midwest Tapes. (Hint: The first one will be at the Registration Desk.) If you don't already have a QR Code reader on your smartphone, there are many available to download free of charge. Here are some apps that are recommended:
For iPhones: The top rated scanners in the App Store are:
- QR Reader for iPhone (4.5 out of 5 stars)
- Scan (4.5 stars). This also works on Apple’s iPod touch and iPad 2.
- Quick Scan (4.5 stars). Also works on iPod touch.
For really easy instructions on how to download from the App Store, see http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-choose-a-qr-code-reader-for-an-apple-operat.html
For Androids: The top rated scanners on Google Play are:
- QR Droid (4.5 out of 5 stars)
- QuickMark Barcode Scanner (4.5 stars)
- QR Barcode Scanner (4.0 stars
For really easy instructions on how to download, see http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-choose-a-qr-code-reader-for-an-android-oper.html
For the Blackberry: QR Code Scanner Pro (4.5 out of 5 stars) scores highly.
For really easy instructions on how to download, see http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-choose-a-qr-code-reader-for-an-blackberry-o.html
5. Memorize the ALC Twitter handle and hashtag - @alcjpl and #alcjpl. Then tweet away about your conference experience, and read what others have to say. If you don’t yet have a Twitter account you can sign up at www.twitter.com.
6. Take photos with Instagram and tag them #alcjpl. Go to www.instagram.com on your smartphone to get Instagram.
7. Plan to post photos from the conference to Flickr and tag them as alcjpl. Go to www.flickr.com to set up an account if you don’t have one already.
And if all of the above is a mystery to you, the conference is the right place to find out about the latest in technology trends and devices! If you have questions, you can send an email to [email protected].